Positions allocated to this class are assigned to provide security in and around clients’ properties, assist and usher special event attendees and participate in screening attendees entering/exiting clients’ property. Incumbents must distinguish between circumstances in which counseling, admonition and explanation will serve to maintain a peaceful environment or where the intervention of law enforcement personnel is necessary, and respond to and/or report situations appropriately.
Essential Job Functions
- Works a fixed post or tours the inner/outer perimeter of client premises to detect or prevent individuals or groups from committing acts, which are injurious to others or client property.
- Directs visitors and event attendees to personnel and services within a facility.
- Accepts event tickets/passes and directs visitors/attendees to their seats.
- Investigates questionable acts or behavior observed or reported on premises and questions involved parties to ascertain or verify facts.
- May participate with sworn law enforcement personnel in securing facilities and conducting searches.
- Ensures that only authorized employees, vendors or other appropriately identified persons are permitted access to closed or restricted areas.
- Responds to reports of ill or injured visitors or employees and notifies supervisors or other appropriate personnel if additional assistance is necessary.
- Explains and interprets organizational procedures and practices to lower level security personnel.
- Utilizes fixed and hand-held scanning devices to detect unauthorized weapons or devices.
- Relays reports of bomb threats to the appropriate law enforcement jurisdiction and participates in organized searches.
- Reports safety hazards, malfunctioning equipment and other such matters to appropriate personnel.
- Writes daily activity, incident and non-employee injury reports.
- Operates miscellaneous equipment and/or motor vehicles including use of bicycles as required in the conduct of routine patrol or to report to alternate assignment posts in accordance with emergent staffing needs.
- Drives to various client job sites and may drive company’s vehicle
- Informs and warns violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking, or carrying forbidden articles.
18 years of age at the time of applying.
Graduation from high school or evidence of equivalent high school proficiency or higher. Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
Prior security guard experience is desirable.
STATE SECURITY GUARD REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT
Incumbents must be eligible for employment in the US, have valid CA State Security Guard Registration and be able to successfully pass a criminal background check.
A valid California class “C” driver license is required to perform job-related essential functions. California applicants must possess a current, non-expired California class “C” or above driver license at the time of applying.
Successful applicants for this position will be required to submit a copy of their California driver license, or valid out-of-state driver license during the background investigation.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces, standing and sitting for long periods of time; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.
UNIFORM & APPEARANCE STANDARDS
- Hair must be neatly cut and groomed. Hair will be cut short enough or styled sufficiently to prevent it from standing out when the uniform cap or hat is worn or from extending below the top of the shirt or jacket collar.
- Refrain from wearing earrings, necklaces or jewelry worn in the nose, eyebrows, lips, tongues, or other extremities by men or women while on duty.
- Your face must be clean-shaven except that neatly trimmed mustaches may be worn unless there is a client requirement prohibiting them (such as interfering with the wearing of special safety masks, etc.). Reasonable accommodation based on race, religious belief or for disability will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- All tattoos must be able to be covered by clothing. Visible face, neck, head and hand tattoos are not permitted.